The modern martial arts mystery
Why then is there so much confusion as to who he really was and represented. Much of this remains a mystery, but there are three primary elements that seem to fuel the “Lost Art” phenomenon within Jeet Kune Do.
- Bruce Lee, himself an enigma, subscribed to the Eastern dualistic model of thought that describes completely opposing views as part of a unified whole.
- Most Martial Artists are completely lost on the personal development aspect of Bruce Lee’s philosophy, promoting a lopsided view.
- The lack of synergy and cohesion between first generation JKD students creates disharmony among practitioners and obscurity within the virtual JKD compendium.
The solution How can we, as martial artists, solve this dilemma and help preserve Bruce Lee’s original Jun Fan Gung Fu and Jeet Kune Do for future generations?
- Setting aside egos and being truthful about what is known and unknown
- Being open to other’s interpretations and input, regardless of background
- Referencing sources and time periods
- Keeping discussions within the context of the appropriate Bruce Lee era
- Acting from a place of harmony and trust rather than anger or fear
- Basing exchanges on practicality over theoretics
- Being respectful and courteous
Personally, I model my actions after my mentors at the Wednesday Night Group, reigning in political issues and focusing on what counts — preserving and promoting the art of Jeet Kune Do. Walk on!
Finding Your True Self with Martial Arts
Martial Arts training is the ultimate microcosmic training ground for personal development on all levels. It is a fully equipped laboratory where self exploration and life skill development abounds. What is the True Self ? Bruce Lee once said that “ultimately,...
Your Healthy Diet Harming You?
The concept of a “healthy diet” can mean very different things depending on who you talk to and, as you know, there is no shortage of conflicting accounts.There is, of course, the FDA and their conventional guidelines, and all the “gurus” advocating thisand that with...
Three Powerful Warm-up Techniques for Optimal Performance
The standard warm-up routine practiced by the average weekend warrior seems to consist primarily of a combination of static and ballistic stretches. A martial artist, for example, might try to touch his toes with a bouncing motion to stretch the hamstrings, followed...
The Martial Arts’ Dirty Little Secret
Historically, the Martial Arts have produced some of the world’s wisest and most enlightened individuals as is often noted in classical Asian literature and folk stories. They were champions of peace, honor, courage, and all that is good. If you scratch beyond the...
Working Out Should be Banned
Who came up with the term “workout” anyway? Frankly, I rarely see it work anything other than doubt and frustration. The idea of having to exercise and workout are mainstream concepts that are actually quite bizarre when seen from a “natural” point of view. In other...
Are You Making This Fatal Mistake in Your Self Defense Training?
Self defense, fitness, and badassness. These are the three most common reasons people start martial arts training. Martial Arts, whichever the style, can be a physically demanding practice so fitness applies without question. As far as badassness goes, I couldn’t...